Monday 9 January 2012

Animal bullies

Sleep at night is often disturbed by the dogs bolting past, barking at the top of their lungs, bouncing off the tent in their frenzied rush to chase whatever animal it is they've scented nearby. Sometimes I wonder if they do it just to mess with us.

Asleep in the tent one night, I slowly returned to consciousness. There was something fluffy moving across my face. As the surreal haze gradually cleared from my mind I realised it was one of the cats. The tent door was open a crack. She must have squirmed through and promptly snuggled up with me. Apparently I murmured "Thor" as I woke up with her on top of me. Thus, she is named. 

Thor comforted, sleep resumed. But later that night a horde of cats climbed onto the roof of the tent, depressing our ceiling chaotically low. At the same moment one of the dogs managed to shove her head through the door and rested it on the floor, motionless but for her eyes watching the squirming madness within.
 
Thor doing what she does best.

No comments:

Post a Comment